Friday 30 November 2012

A Day With UNICEF

   Yesterday was an amazing day. I got to be apart of all the work that Unicef is doing in Uganda. I have a close friend who is the director of Unicef's supply. So I got to be with her and watch all that goes on. In the beginning of the day I sat in a meeting with a few of the directors. I listened to how they worked out problems they were having and I watched as they figured out even more ways of helping the children in Uganda. It was just a great opportunity to be able to sit in and listen to all that goes on in Unicef. 

   After the meeting was over, I went to lunch with a few of the people. We again talked about different elements of Unicef's help in Africa. They also asked me about my work in Tororo. It was so cool to be able to discuss with them all that I have been doing at Smile Africa. They seemed very interested and pleased with all the work that has been done. 

   We then went to an innovation lab where they designed the Digital Drum, which has been recognized  by Time Magazine as the one of the top 50 best inventions of 2011. This Digital Drum allows for children to have internet access in schools and youth centers in rural areas. The picture below is the first generation prototype of the Digital Drum made out of a oil drum. 

   It was such an honor that I was invited to go visit all their warehouses. I had a great time. I learned so much by just listening to what they were saying. I will be traveling with Shanelle and the UNICEF team all day today and tomorrow. I never thought that my trip in Uganda would include a visit to refugee camps with UNICEF. This is going to be so awesome. 

"Thank you Jesus for this opportunity! I am so excited to be with Shanelle and the team. Thank you for continuing to grow me. I pray that you will keep us safe in our travels. I love you! Amen."

No comments:

Post a Comment