Saturday 17 November 2012

Grasshoppers

   Yesterday morning Pastor Ruth and I walked to Smile Africa. I was really anxious to see my kids. I had really missed them while I was gone, so I could hardly wait to hug each of them. As I walked into Smile my eyes were searching for my kids. Ruth and I started to walk into the office with some grocery bags. I heard my name being screamed. I looked and it was Betty. She was running to me as fast as she could. Betty ran and jumped into my arms. I swung her around and held onto her tightly. That was an amazing greeting.

   We all walked into the office and I helped get the groceries out of the bag. I was told that Bogere was not the the best kid in the world just the day before I arrived back in Tororo. Apparently Bogere and a friend decided to sneak out of Smile Africa and go into town. They were gone the whole day. My heart just about stopped beating. That really scared me. That boy knew better. That would explain why he did not want to come and greet me when I arrived. Bogere knew that he was going to be in trouble.

  I was going to have to talk to him about that. It is very dangerous for him to be running around by himself. Not only because it is against the rules of Smile Africa, but also because the people in town see him with ME all the time. They think that Bogere is my son, like I have adopted him. If they think that, then there is a good chance that they would want to kidnap him and try to get money from his WHITE AMERICAN mother. That being said, I needed to have a serious talk with him.

   Once I talked to him about not leaving and I explained why, he seemed to understand. Bogere apologized me and to Pastor Ruth for leaving. By him apologizing you can tell that he has come a long way. That alone, used to be a battle.

   When we left Smile Africa, Pastor Ruth saw a guy selling grasshoppers. Yes, that's right, grasshoppers...for eating! I could not believe what I was seeing. Ruth purchased a bag of them and handed a few to Baby Esther and then she ate some herself. It was so gross. I watched as her and baby Esther just ate these grasshoppers one by one. I just about threw up. Then to make matters worse, she put her hand out to me. I thought,

"You must be joking!"

   There was no way that I was going to eat a grasshopper. I try all kinds of different foods and traditions here in Africa...but this might be pushing it! My face says it all...

"Thank you Jesus for allowing me to have an open mind to new things! Thank you for Betty and Bogere. I thank you so much for keeping Bogere safe. I pray God that you will continue to be with them in my last few weeks here in Tororo. I love you! Amen."


1 comment:

  1. Paris,
    I read your blogs daily. You are such an inspiration. I am so glad your parents shared your blog at church. Ill be praying for you and your children.
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete