Sunday 25 November 2012

Count It As Pure Joy

   Yesterday I was too weak to do anything, so I had to stay at the hotel and rest. The night before I was very sick. I was throwing up all night and I felt terrible. So I wasn't able to go to church. I stayed at the hotel so that I could feel better.

   I really miss Bogere. I didn't see him on Friday because he went to the clinic and Saturday and Sunday I didn't go to Smile. I am really missing that boy. I thought about him a lot yesterday. I was just praying that I would feel better so that I could see him today. I know that he will be at Smile, so I'm looking forward to hugging him.

   While I was at the hotel, getting better, I spent time with Jesus. When I am not feeling well, time with Jesus makes me feel better. It makes me feel like I am not alone. My devotional said,

"When your mind is occupied with thanking Me,  you have no time for worrying or complaining. If you practice thankfulness consistently, negative thought patterns will gradually grow weaker and weaker. Draw near to Me with a grateful heart, and My Presence will fill you with Joy and Peace."

   In the midst of worrying and stressing about the situations facing me, I forgot to thank God for all the good things that were happening. Which is normal, I'm far from perfect, but if I had kept my eyes on Jesus, then the problems surrounding me would not have looked so big. I am even supposed to rejoice with the bad things that are happening. That might be pushing it! While I was thinking about all that I was going to have to do to handle some of the negative situations, I remembered that in God's word it says to rejoice and give thanks even in the bad times. I am supposed to count it as joy. "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance." James 1:2-3

   So I stopped worrying for a second and I thanked God for all that was troubling me. Can I just tell you...that was not easy! You know when you're taking medicine that you know is good for you, but it taste terrible? So it's hard to swallow and you make a bitter face? Well that is how it felt. I'm just being honest. Thanking God for my stress was not my idea of a good time. But I did it anyway, and I felt so much better. God took the load off me. Not only that, it gave me room to grow in my faith with Him. 

   I have learned so much being here in Tororo. I have never felt closer to God. That doesn't mean that you need to come to Tororo to feel close to God. It means that wherever you are, wherever God has you, thank him for ever trial that you face. Something that I learned from Chris Caine is...the God that was faithful then, is the same God that is faithful now. When you are having a problem with your children, God will be faithful. Remember when you didn't have children and you prayed for them and God was faithful then? Well that same God who gave you these children, will be faithful now! Trust Him!

"Thank you Jesus for always bringing my attention back to you, no matter the circumstance. Thank you for helping me get closer and closer to you. I pray that I will continue to have this same attitude toward the trials that come my way. I love you! Amen."

1 comment:

  1. You are such a great encouragement to me in my family and ministry. I believe that is what Jonathan was to David. God bless you so much for preaching the gospel in season and out of season. Know that you are loved and prayed for everyday.You are our God given daughter and that is how it will always be.

    ReplyDelete