Thursday 22 November 2012

My African Thanksgiving

   Since yesterday was Thanksgiving, I decided to take the day off. No one else celebrates the holiday, but I took the day off regardless. I stayed at the hotel in the beginning of the day to rest a little bit and work on some paper work that I needed to finish. I was really counting down the hours until 3pm.

   There are a few American families that live here in Tororo. They all decided that they were going to have Thanksgiving and they invited me. I was so excited. Although I'm not close to home, it was nice celebrating with everyone. I walked over to Rachelle and Jesse's house. They have become really good friends...family even, like my brother and sister. When I arrived at their house I was helping get the children in the car and all the food that Rachelle had made. Once all the food was in the car and everyone was ready, we left.

   We made this Thanksgiving as close to America's Thanksgiving as possible. We had turkey, stuffing, corn, potatoes, and pumpkin pie. It was all I hoped it would be and more. When I walked in the house all the smells made it feel like home. I was so happy to be there. After we set everything out and it was all ready, we prayed and everyone began to eat.

   All these families will never know how much it meant to me to be with them on Thanksgiving...well unless they ready my blog. They all treated me like they had known me their whole lives. I am so grateful for them and that I got to spend this holiday with my new family. We all talked and laughed and played around with each other. It was perfect. The only difference in our Thanksgiving and the one my family had in America, is that we had to purchase a live turkey and then kill it. There is no prepared and frozen turkey just ready for us to stuff and cook. This is how we American Africans do it!
Yes, that's a giant turkey leg!

           
 "Thank you Jesus for allowing me to celebrate Thanksgiving in Africa. It was so much fun. This just proves to me that you even care about the little things. Thank you for my American friends who made me feel like family. I am so grateful for them and their amazing friendship! I love you! Amen."




1 comment:

  1. hahaah,i wonder wether you finished that peice:)

    ReplyDelete