Thursday 8 November 2012

Peace Be Still

   When I arrived at Smile Africa yesterday morning, it was peaceful. With over 400 children and limited staff, peaceful isn't the word typically describing Smile Africa. For some reason though, yesterday, I found all the children sitting down and taking a test. They were all listening to the teachers and doing what they were told. Be still my beating heart! Are these my children? I have to admit, I was so confused. I went into the office and said,

"Doris, everyone is sitting down quietly and listening to the teachers. There is not 1 child out of line. What happened?"

   Doris just laughed and explained that they were all having exams today. This exam would determine if they got to move up a grade level in school. Well that explained it. Just 30 minuets later everyone was back to their crazy selves! That just showed me that it is possible for them to sit and behave, I've seen it, no more excuses for them. Haha. I love these kids so much.

   I went into the babies room to check on all my babies. They were all sleeping, except for Caleb. Caleb saw me coming and threw his toy and ran to me as he laughed. Pretty much the best greeting in the world. I picked him up and played with him for a little bit. Caleb was very clingy today and he was not eating. Turns out his cough is not gone either. It was so sad to hear him coughing like that. I gave him some more medicine and brought him his lunch. Caleb eats more than any other little boy his age that I've seen. Yesterday, though, Caleb only had a few bites of his lunch and then he fell asleep. This just proves that he is still sick.

   Once Caleb fell asleep I took care of the other babies. They are all getting bigger and developing little personalities. It is so cute. The twins, Ruth and Eric, can laugh so hard, it's the cutest thing I have ever heard. Baby Joshua laughed for the first time yesterday. It was so cute. I just love these babies.

   As I was getting stuff ready for the night time staff, a girl named Brenda came into the babies room to say hello to me. This girl is so smart and so sweet. She brought some books with her because she wanted me to help her read. So I sat down with her and we read about 3 books before it was time for me to go.

   I said good-bye to everyone and Brenda thanked me for helping her with her reading. I loved helping actually. On my way back to the hotel a team stopped me and asked me if I wanted to go with them to a childrens home. I obviously agreed. I ran back to my hotel as fast as I could and I got ready to go. They came back and picked me up and off we went. It was so amazing. These children were so happy and grateful. They sang us a few songs and then they prayed for us. It was the most beautiful thing. I loved it. These children really understood the love of God. Instead of Americans coming to Uganda to be missionaries, these Ugandan children need to come to America as missionaries. I think there are a few things we Americans can learn from these beautiful children. 


"Thank you Jesus for this wonderful day! Thank you for brining me to Awinjo House. I loved it there. Thank you for allowing those children to teach me something. I pray God that you will continue to be alive in all of their hearts. God, please heal Baby Caleb. Make him healthy and strong! Thank you. I love you! Amen."





2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences with Gods people and encouraging all of us in ministry.Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am glad the prayers of the children touched your heart. Please, pray for them to grow strong and stronger in the faith and be used to further Gods kingdom.

    Blessings.

    ReplyDelete