Wednesday 7 November 2012

Chef Paris

   Yesterday on my walk to Smile Africa, Pastor Ruth asked me if I would come over to her house to help her prepare for the big dinner that was tonight. On top of that, she needed me to watch a little baby so that the mother could go take food to her sick mom and get her hair done. When I arrived at Pastor Ruth's house, the mother of the baby left. I helped take care of the baby as well as help Ruth with dinner. We were having a very big team over at our house for dinner, so we had to cook all day basically.

   It was fun helping to prepare the meals. I loved spending time with Mama Ruth and all the people in the house. We just cooked and cleaned and laughed the whole day. We prepared all different kinds of food, some that I have learned how to make, and some that I have no idea how to make. Finally, we got all the food prepared. I was helping a girl named Anna to set the table for 24 people. The house was going to be full, so we had to clear as much space as possible.

   It was getting close to dinner time, so I ran back to my hotel to shower and look presentable and then I walked back to Mama's house. I helped put the final touches on the table to make it look nice. The only unfortunate thing was that there was no power all night, so we had set everything up in the dark. We put candle sticks all over the house, hoping that they would make enough light for the guests to see the food.

   Finally the guests arrived and Mama Ruth and I served them. The house was full of people. It was a lot of fun to have company. Everyone told Ruth how much they loved the food. It was a success! As everyone finished their plates, Anna and I took the plates and did the dishes together. Then they team took me back to my hotel.

   When I arrived at my hotel, all of my hotel family starting calling me to the restaurant. I walked in and we just started talking and laughing. Before I knew it, I was in the hotel's kitchen learning how to make more African food. They even brought me a real order. I could not believe that they were letting me cook a guest's food! It was so funny. I've never been in the kitchen of any hotel, but this is basically my home at this point. You can usually find me in the back room where all of the staff are. I love my hotel family and I am really going to miss them when I go home.


"Thank you Jesus for brining me family here in Tororo. Rarely do I feel lonely because I am constantly surrounded by family. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to learn how to cook African food! Thank you for all the laughs we shared today. I love you! Amen."

3 comments:

  1. When you get back to LA - you can cook for me!!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dad! U have jokes! lol I only know how to make African food now...do u think we can get the recipes in America? hehe ;)

      Delete
  2. This is awesome Paris so nice you have that family feeling there. That's what Oasis is for me since I don't live near any of my own family!

    ReplyDelete