Saturday 24 November 2012

Discouragement

   Throughout my stay here in Tororo, I have stayed very strong. Of course there have been moments when things were very hard. I had moment of heart break and anger, but I have not been discouraged...until yesterday. Somethings that happen in life are out of our control. You can try to do everything that you know how to do to fix something, but that still may not work. That is when you are not to be discouraged, but you should call on God. 

   I did not go to Smile Africa yesterday. I started off my day with trying to help a young girl. Pastor Ruth and I were trying our best to help this girl not destroy her life, but no matter what we said, it went in one ear and out the other. This 19 year old girl has a 2 month old baby. The decisions that she makes don't just affect her anymore, so it was urgent that we try and save this girl's life, so that we can also save the life of the innocent baby.

   It can be so annoying when you are trying to help someone, but they refuse your help and chose to hurt themselves. The longer the conversation went on, the more frustrated I became. I had said all that I could possibly say and it seem to do nothing. Pastor Ruth looked me with annoyance as well. Finally, the meeting was over.

   Then we also learned that a worker at Smile Africa was doing what he wasn't supposed to be doing. This 26 year old man was flirting with one of our girls that stay at Smile who is 16 years old. I am so proud of this girl for telling me and Pastor Ruth. I told her over and over again how proud I was of her. It was important that she tell us something like that. This man is supposed to be protecting and counseling the teenagers at Smile, not fall in love with them. Pastor Ruth and I thanked this girl a lot and sent her back to Smile. We were going to handle this situation on Monday. 

   After that, I felt discouraged. If anyone were to ask me who the best Ugandan worker was at Smile Africa, I would have said it was that man. I trusted him so much. So I felt a little betrayed and hurt. Both of these situations made me feel discouraged. Then to top it off, I was throwing up all last night. I felt terrible and alone. I just wondered where God was in all of this. Then I took every thought captive and I prayed. When things don't make sense, when life seems unfair, and you can't find God in a situation...PRAY! You might not find all the answers, but you'll find peace.

   I prayed and prayed and God filled my heart with encouragement and peace. I just love God! I know that no matter what situation that I am faced with, God will give me the strength I need to overcome it. 

"Thank you Jesus for filing my heart with joy and peace. I pray that I will handle each situation that is thrown at me with grace and wisdom. Thank you for giving me strength to overcome each obstacle. I love you. Amen"

2 comments:

  1. Sweet heart, i was not annoyed with you,i simply have a lot to handle,and as you said it correctly,it is very painful if you are trying to help and the person you are helping is just messing up your entire family.This 19yr old is capable of doing more than what we are handling now, i only need to pay attention to what God tells me to do and i will do exactly that. The discouragement you feel will turn into strength to move you to the next level in ministry and service to Gods people. Many times people have abused my openness and attempt to be of help,but Jesus is my role model,i look to Him and He lifts me up.The throwing up could be a result of all that transpired during the day.I have made up my mind the man at Smile, it is very painful but i know that it is the right decision to have him out of Smile.

    May the Lord heal and strengthen you in all that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paris. I work at a nonprofit serving urban young adults. One of our teams is dedicated to counseling them to make wise choices, and to avoid those that could end their lives. It's disappointing when some just won't listen, but sometimes consequences are the best teachers. Unfortunately, as happens from time to time, one of our precious young adults died last week. Still we are encouraged when we realize that hundreds of others ARE listening and thriving and have hope for a positive future. I'm glad that God filled your heart with similar encouragement because many young people are listening and are going to make a difference in this world because of your obedience to God in being at Smile Africa. We will keep praying for you back home.

    ReplyDelete