Saturday 6 October 2012

Uncle James

   As Julian and I walked to Smile Africa yesterday morning, we were stopped by the sound of people screaming in front of the police station. It was really a site to see! People were wailing and out of control. From every direction people came running to the police station to see what was going on. We waited there for a good 10 minutes just watching the commotion. Then we saw police men with machine guns start running to the scene. That was our cue to leave! We quickly resumed our journey to Smile.

   As soon as we arrived at Smile I went into the babies room to see my wonderful Caleb! Seeing his smiling face first thing in the morning really makes my day! Once I greeted my friends in the babies room and the office I went to go find Bogere so that I could give him his medicine. Just as I was about to leave the office, Dorris, Pastor Ruth's assistant, stopped me to let me know that there was a man waiting to speak to me. The man walked over to me and introduced himself.

"Hi Paris, my name is James. I am Bogere's uncle. I came after I heard that my sister died. I just wanted to come and say thank you for taking care of my nephew. I have heard wonderful things about you and I am so grateful for all that you have done for my family. I am just starting university, but when I am finished I am praying that I have a great job so that I can help take care of these children. Thank you so much!"


   I could not believe what I was hearing! This man was young, just 22 years old. James was going to university and looking for a great job, he truly had a lot going for him. So I had to ask,

"James, you seem to have a lot going for you and you appear to have a good head on your shoulders. Can you please tell me how you came to have this life and your sister had a different one?"

   This young man explained to me that he had the opportunity to get sponsored. When the opportunity came, he grabbed it and he worked really hard. James explained to me that his sister never got the chance to be sponsored. So Tereza's life went a completely different direction than James's life. It was sad to hear that Tereza never got the chance to be sponsored, but on the other hand it was amazing to see how much a sponsor can change someone's life. It was so great meeting James. It really meant a lot to me that he came to Smile just to thank me. It touched my heart to know that Bogere still has family that loves him very much.

   After meeting with James I went to the babies room to see how things were going there. When I walked in, all the babies were sleeping, except for Caleb. Bogere and Betty walked in soon after and they were both happy! For the rest of the day we laughed together and played games. I got to spend most of the day with the 3 of them. It was a lot of fun. Everyone was happy and getting along! It was really great to see!


"Thank you Jesus for sending James to just simply say thank you. It meant so much to me. Thank you so much for showing me a glimpse of just how much you love your children. I love you! Amen"

2 comments:

  1. Wow Paris such an inspiring look to sponsor and sponsor more! I look forward to reading all of your blogs! Keep it up God is really using you! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got it!!
    The difference between the life that is given a chance and the one that isn't.
    So vivid!!

    ReplyDelete