Friday 12 October 2012

Rest and Recoup

   I was given specific instructions by Mama Ruth to stay at the hotel and rest yesterday. Considering I had malaria and had not had a day off, I agreed to the request. I woke up in the morning at the usual time, 6:30am, so that I could post my blog and skype with my parents. It was really good to see their faces! As soon as I was done with the computer in the morning, I went back to my room to rest. I watched Liar Liar, the one with Jim Carrey. That is my favorite movie of all time. I sat in bed and laughed so hard...yes by myself, I was cracking up! After I finished the movie, I took more medicine and took a nap. I knew that the more sleep that I got, the better it would be for my body.

   It is really hard for me rest when I know that there are things that need to get done, regardless if I am sick or not. It's even harder for me to nap, but I fell right to sleep, that tells me how badly my sick body needed to rest. Once I woke up I decided that I would go on a walk to town. I needed to pick up some things and I really needed to get up and move. I was walking alone because Julian had gone back home, her volunteer time was up, so it was just me. I realized how much more confidence I have when someone is walking by my side. When I am alone, I walk a lot faster and I look at everyone. I am totally aware of my surroundings at all times. I have to admit, I am a little more nervous when I am walking alone here, but I know my way around pretty well and I have made friends, so I know that I will be fine.


   As I got the things I needed from town it started to rain, then it started to pour! I love the rain, so I couldn't decide whether I was going to walk in the rain, which I love, or ride a boda in the rain. Hard decision, but boda in the rain won. I hopped on the back of a boda and the driver took off! The rain was falling hard on my face, all I could do was smile. I had so much fun. Once I arrived at the hotel all the employees just laughed at me as I walked in dripping wet. I have become good friends with all the employees, so we tease each other often. Mama Ruth was going to pick me up for dinner soon, so I had to go shower and get cleaned up. As I stood in my cold shower I thought to myself, 

"Remember those days when all I had to do to have hot water was turn the nozzle toward hot...oh the good ole days." 

   I have gotten so used to taking cold showers, it doesn't really phase me anymore. Once I got to Ruth's house, we ate dinner together, then Baby Esther and I took a brief nap on the couch. I love that little girl so much! She has become my little sister and I can't imagine dinner time without her.  


   It was a nice day off, but I missed all my babies at Smile Africa. I can't wait to see them again! They have become my family, so it's weird when we are not together.

"Thank you God for a day to rest and recoup. I thank you for healing my body. Thank you for allowing me to skype with my parents this morning...until the power went out. I love you so much! Amen"

No comments:

Post a Comment