Sunday 14 October 2012

Prison


   My morning started very early...like 4 am early! I woke up to watch GodChicks Night of Pink online. It was so amazing to be able to watch all that God was doing. I was happy that I could be apart of it. That was a great way to start my morning. Once "Night of Pink" was over, I went back to sleep for a few hours. I was so tired.  Once I woke up, I got ready quickly because Pastor was coming to pick me up, she was taking me to prison. Yes, I know that sentence is weird, but it’s true! Mama Ruth picked me up and we drove to the Tororo Prison.

   On the way to the prison, Pastor Ruth informed me that I was not allowed to take any pictures of the prison. If they saw me with a camera, they would take it. So sadly, I have no pictures to show you of my adventure at the prison.

   Our first stop was the male ward. We sat down as lots of men wearing bright yellow shirts and shorts with black stripes started entering the gate. I watched as these men walked in the gate, most of them seemed so young! It was heart breaking to see someone so young be in prison. Pastor Ruth pointed out a few boys that once went to Smile Africa. They were in prison for raping a young girl.  It was hard to see Smile Africa children in prison, but they have truly become repentant for what they have done.

   Once all the men were sitting down, a pastor said a few words, then he introduced Pastor Ruth, who also said a few words. Ruth spoke beautifully, once she was done she introduced me to the inmates. Then it was my turn to say something. I didn’t have a lot to say, but I told them what I thought was important and what I thought that God wanted them to hear. I told them how important they were and how their Father in Heaven has not forgotten them. I told them that it didn’t matter what they had done, God forgave them and loves them so much. I told them that I believed in them and that I was praying that they would come out of prison changed men, that they would make a difference in their villages and in their families. From the response that I got from them, I believe that it went well. I was glad that I was able to share with these men. We had an alter call at the end our speaking. A lot of these prisoners gave their lives to Christ! It was so amazing! Praise Jesus!

   Once we finished with the men we moved on to the women’s ward. There were fewer women than there were men in the prison. We sat down in a small room and we each shared something that God had put on our hearts. I told the girls how beautiful they were, how loved they were, how valuable they were, and how much their Father believed in them. We had an alter call for the women as well. The majority of the women accepted Jesus for the first time! It was so great. We prayed for them and we laid hands on them. I really enjoyed getting so close and personal to the inmates like this. I wanted them to feel that they were not forgotten about.

   It was an overall amazing day! I felt so honored that I was able to share the love of God with the inmates. It is important to me that people know that God loves them and has not forgotten them, even in their most desperate state, God hears them. I really enjoyed praying for some of these people, and I know that I will be back again soon to check on them.

“Thank you Jesus for allowing me to go into a dark place like prison to share Your love. Thank you for your strength to get up and speak even when it might not be comfortable. Thank you Jesus for giving me the words to say. Please be with your children, the new believers in You. Keep their hearts and minds safe as they sleep tonight. Thank you Jesus for your mercy that never runs dry. I love you. Amen”

3 comments:

  1. It was so great to have you join us online for Night of Pink!! And I am so proud of you for what you shared in the prison. I know that the Holy Spirit will use the words spoken to encourage those men and women. You are such a lovely young woman!! Love you!!
    xoxo...mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your heart and adventures Paris...we are being so inspired! How amazing to be able to share Christ with someone who most people have forgotten about. I am sure what was spoken over them will continue to reverberate in their hearts for a long time...

    We're praying for you!
    Donna xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so thankful to God for using you in many ways to change lives.It is not always easy to speak at the Prison for the first time,but i thank God for giving you the boldness to do so. The word of God came out of you with love, comfort and assurance. May the Lord continue to strengthen you in all that you do. I love you and thank God for bringing you to us.

    ReplyDelete