Sunday 21 October 2012

Soda Sunday


   Yesterday was church day! I got up in the morning and Pastor Ruth came to pick me up for church. When we arrived, I saw a small boy behind a tree across the street. I looked because I recognized those shoes. I yelled,

“Bogere!”

   Bogere looked up and realized that it was me and he came running over. That right there just made my Sunday. Bogere jumped in my arms and I carried him into church. The services are long, but I was proud of him because he sat through most it. We left a little early and I took him, his cousin Betty and a few other kids to the store to get a soda. They were all so happy. It was great to spend all this time with them. All the other kids went back to Smile Africa, but Bogere and Betty stayed with me. I have been very busy lately with the new babies and the new babies room, so I haven’t gotten to spend a lot of quality time with Bogere. This was a great opportunity to spend time with him, as well as reward him for doing a great job painting the room.

   I took Bogere and Betty back to the hotel to have lunch. They were laughing and having a great time. When a few of the staff people at the hotel saw me with the kids they said,

“Oh Paris, you brought your kids today? It’s so great to see them again!”

   I just smiled. That’s all I could do. I just sat and watched these 2 beautiful children talking and giggling with each other. We have all really become a family here. This is really like my home. I am friends with all the hotel staff, ALL. I know where most of them live and what kind of families they have. I am speaking the language, I know all the short cuts to town, this has become my home, and these 2 children have become like my own.


   Once lunch was over I let them watch a little bit of Lion King before I had to take them back to Smile. They both begged me to let them ride on a boda, a motorcycle taxi. This was their day, so I agreed. I put Bogere on the front and Betty and I sat on the back. When we arrived at Smile, Betty hugged me and thanked me for the day and she ran to her room. Bogere, on the other hand, grabbed my hand and looked up at me and smiled. This boy was not going anywhere. I had to go back to the hotel so I bent down and I told him how much I loved him and that I would be back the next day. Bogere agreed and he hugged me and then waved as I rode off on a boda.

   I smiled the whole way back to my hotel. This was truly an amazing day. I was so grateful that I was able to spend so much time with Bogere and Betty. These kids can make me laugh so hard. Plus, when Bogere and I communicate it can be a very funny thing to watch. I understand more Swahili than I speak, and Bogere understands more English than he speaks. So he will say something in Swahili and I will respond in English, then he will understand what I say and respond in Swahili. We are both learning our new languages the best we can. I try to just speak Swahili and he tries to speak English a lot. So we are both getting better and better. Bogere is very smart and he is really learning this new language. I am so proud of him.

“Thank you Jesus for this new and wonderful day! Thank you for allowing me to spend time with Bogere and Betty. Thank you for keeping us safe on the boda. God, most importantly, I want to thank you for the work you have done in Bogere already. He has truly made a huge turn around. I could not be more proud. I pray that you will continue to work in his heart and his mind. Thank you Jesus for how much you love Bogere…and me! I love you! Amen.”



3 comments:

  1. Paris,
    I have just spent the last couple of hours reading every single blog posting since day 1. You are doing such amazing things and are so inspiring. Thank you for sharing all of your experiences.
    Praying for you and all your "children",
    Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a happy day it was for all of you.Thank you for doing this for your precious kids, they must be on top of the world with happiness. I love you very much and thank God each day for bringing you in to our lives,Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the work that you are doing. They will never forget the unconditional love that you are showing them.

    ReplyDelete