Wednesday 10 October 2012

Pastor Ruth's Surprise

   My pace to Smile Africa yesterday morning was a lot faster than usual! It was Pastor Ruth's birthday and the whole staff was planning a surprise for her. I had to arrive quickly to make sure that things were in order. As soon as I arrived at Smile I was helping set up the cake and getting ready to surprise Mama Ruth. Caleb followed me around everywhere, he would not rest until I picked him up. So I carried him with me as I set up Smile Africa. We waited and waited...and waited for Mama Ruth to show up, but she took forever! Everyone was asking me where she was, but I had no idea. I called her and asked her when she was coming to Smile and she said it was going to be a while. Then she said,

"Is this urgent...because I can leave now?"

I thought about it...ya...it was urgent.

"Yes, its urgent, come quickly!"

   That was the fastest Pastor Ruth has ever arrived at Smile Africa. It was wonderful! She jumped out of the car and quickly walked over to me. 

"She said is everything ok? What happened?"

   Well nothing happened...but I still needed to stall her...so I said,

"Everything is fine...how is your day going today?"

   She looked so confused, but she just answered me, she said that she was fine. I kept on asking her random questions to try and distract her. It worked! Finally I noticed the staff was ready and in place, so I told Mama Ruth to walk with me for a little bit. As she was telling me a story we walked into the babies room and there waited the entire staff...SURPRISE!!!!!

   Pastor Ruth was so surprised! I was taking pictures of all the excitement when I looked down and noticed that she was crying. Ruth was so excited that tears were rolling down her cheeks. After she beat me for scaring her to death to get her to urgently come, she enjoyed her party. hehe ;) I am glad that we could make her so happy. Pastor Ruth has changed people's lives, she has literally changed a generation! We are all so grateful, it was the least we could do. She deserved to feel special on her birthday!

"Jesus, thank you for creating such a beautiful person! Thank you for speaking to her heart a vision for Smile Africa. Without her...I don't even want to imagine. Thank you for letting us surprise her! I love you so much God! Amen"

Happy 50th Birthday Mama Ruth!

2 comments:

  1. I love Ruth.

    What a great surprise! The tears show that you touched her heart.

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome that you all took the time to make her feel special.

    How cool is it that she was born on the day we got our independence!!!

    ReplyDelete