Friday 19 October 2012

My First Sermon

   When I woke up in the morning there were things that I needed to get accomplished before I had to be at International House of Prayer Tororo. Mama Ruth came to pick me up and we went to buy paint and paint brushes. I am going to be painting the babies room and making it a little more enjoyable for everyone that is in that room all day. I wanted to make it a little bit brighter because right now it is kind of dull. I got just the right color and all things that I needed. Pastor Ruth and I then drove to Smile Africa to drop off all the paint. I said hello to my friends and then we got back in the van.

   Ruth dropped me off at the hotel so that I could go over my notes for my sermon. I wanted to make sure that my message was going to flow and that everything made sense.

This was my first sermon!

   I was a little nervous, but also excited. After about an hour Pastor Ruth came back to pick me up. We drove to International House of Prayer Tororo where she dropped me off. I met with the pastors and I again sat down and went over my notes. Once people starting to enter the building my nerves started to fade. I was no longer nervous or scared, but excited and ready! 

   We had praise and worship and it was wonderful. I knew most of the songs which was nice. I looked around the room as about 30 young people were praising Jesus. It was great to see them so into it. They all had their hands in the air and totally focused on Jesus.

   The pastor then went up and prayed for everyone. They were leaving on a mission trip right after my message, so he was praying about the trip and then invited 3 young people to pray as well. These people were on fire with their prayers. All of their prayers were so full of passion, it was awesome.

 After all the prayers the pastor introduced me. Everyone clapped as I walked to the front. I thought that I was going to be totally nervous, that I was going to be shaking or something, but I wasn't. I was totally comfortable. I introduced myself, thanked the pastors for inviting me to speak, and I prayed. When I looked up at the people I felt totally comfortable, like I was at home, like I was meant to do this or something. I spoke the word that God had placed on my heart.


   IT WAS A SUCCESS!! Well at least that's what the people told me! They all came up to me afterward and told me that it was a great message. A girl came up to me crying, telling me that the words I spoke blessed her heart. I informed her that they weren't my words, but God's. To be honest, I was just happy that I made it through the sermon and I made sense! I made sense, I didn't pass out, I am calling it a success. :)

   Thank you mom, Nicole Reyes, and Alicia Vargas for giving me your advise and input! Thank you everyone else for your prayers and support during my time of panic. Haha. Thanks everyone for helping me accomplish my first sermon, and let me tell you, it wont be my last :)

"Jesus! Thank you for giving me the words to say! Thank you for your peace when I was nervous. Thank you for loving me and trusting me to speak into the lives of your children. I do not take that lightly and I am so honored! Thank you! I love you! Amen."

 

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant! Reminds me of God's promise to Moses. "Now go, and do as I have told you. I will help you speak well, and I will tell you what to say." Ex 4:12

    ReplyDelete