Tuesday 2 October 2012

Beaten to Death

   I walked to Smile Africa in the morning with hope, hope that today was going to be a better day. I was listening to praise and worship music and just praying for Bogere and his family. I was in a great mood, smiling as I walked down the street to Smile. I was about 7 minutes away when my phone ran, it was Michael. My thought was,

"You have got to be kidding me? What could he have done now?!"

   I answered the phone, hesitant on what Michael was about to tell me that Bogere did.

"Michael, is everything ok?"
"No Paris, Bogere's mother died this morning."

   My heart started pounding out of my chest. I was breathing hard, scared for Bogere.

"Where are you? Where is Bogere? How did she die? WHAT HAPPENED?!"

   Michael explained to me that he was walking back to Smile from the slums. He had taken Bogere to see his mother's body...WHY? That made me angry. Why are you going to take a 6 year old to see his mother's dead body not wrapped up or anything?! Michael told me that the people found her dead this morning. Apparently all the night before she was throwing up blood and it was in her stool as well, this was caused from internal bleeding. I started sprinting to Smile. I have never run so fast in my life! I saw Michael with Bogere. Bogere saw me running and started to run toward me, crying. Tears were rolling down his face. I picked him up and held him tightly. There were really no words that I could say.

"I'm sorry baby, I'm so sorry. Sorry sorry sorry."

   As I held on to him and said sorry, he gripped tightly to me and cried. The other teacher also handed me Bogere's little brother, Philip, who was now an orphan. Baby Philip is a little over a year old. As I held them both I fought back tears. I was not going to cry! I had to be strong for my boys. I brought them in the babies room and let them play with toys. Caleb really enjoyed Philip's company. Bogere's cousin, Betty, is a permanent resident at Smile and she was very upset about the death of her aunt. I left Betty in the babies room as well.

   I went outside to talk to Michael and one of the security men who went to slums to see the body. It turns out that Tereza, Bogere's mom, WAS BEATEN TO DEATH. The husband had beaten her 2 days before and she hadn't moved since. Then she died early yesterday morning. I was so angry! That man literally killed her! I called Pastor Ruth and informed her of what was going on. She said that she would talk to the police and get that man arrested.

   I walked away from everyone for a minute so that I could have some time with Jesus. I walked behind the office and just talked to God.
"God why?! Of all the children that could have happened to...HIM? Don't you see what we are going to have to overcome now?! Just when I thought we were getting somewhere, now we are going to have to start all over again. If she had accepted my offer for the house then she would still be alive! Why is this happening, I don't understand. Maybe there was more I should have done for her. I should have helped her more. I should have come offering help sooner! We should have put that man in jail earlier." These were just some of things that I was talking to God about. I was heart broken. I genuinely cared about her, I tried to help her, but she refused my help. It was a really hard thing for me to grasp.

   One of the teachers found me and told me that it was time for the burial and that Bogere and his siblings needed to come. So I picked up Bogere and began walking to slums with his litte sister, little brother, and his 2 cousins. We watched as they tied a bed sheet around his mother and tied it with string, then they placed her body in a hole that they had dug. The husband had the nerve to show up. He just stood there and looked at woman that he killed. That was so hard to watch. I looked at Bogere as silent tears streamed down his face. I just held him tight. As I watched her body being placed in the dirt I thought about the last thing that I told her. "Wewe ni murambo na Yesu anakupenda sana."Which means, "You are beautiful and Jesus loves you very much.

   Once the burial was over I began to walk back to Smile with Bogere when a friend of Tereza stopped me. With her little english and my little Swahili, we understood each other. She was telling me that it was the husband that killed her and I told her that I knew. She also told me that Tereza really trusted me, which was a big deal because she didn't trust many people. This lady was telling me that Tereza had told her to make sure that Philip got into my hands because, "I know that Paris will take good care of my baby." When I heard that my eyes flooded with tears. I thanked the lady for telling me and I walked away with Bogere and baby Philip. When we reached Smile the whole family went into the babies room with me. I sat on the bed and watched the family playing together. Bogere, Gloria, Philip, and Betty were keeping each other company. One of the teachers said to me, "What is going to happen now? They are all orphans." 

   "No they aren't. They have a father who loves them and has great plans for each of them. They have the best daddy in the world, in Heaven. They are not orphans."

   In the van going back to the hotel I finally cried. I was holding back the whole day to be strong for Bogere, but now I just let it out. I cried the whole way home at all that I had seen and heard. I just prayed for justice. I prayed that the husband would be brought to his knees and justice would be brought to Bogere's famiy. 

"Thank you Jesus for your unfailing love. Thank you for calling us Your own. Thank you for continuing to strengthen me through every trial that I face. I pray for Bogere's heart. Heal him God, make him strong. No weapon formed against this boy will prosper in Jesus name! Amen"


24 comments:

  1. I can't imagine how you and the family are feeling right now. Thank you for sharing despite the circumstances. I'll be prayin for peace and joy for you and the kids :) so glad you are there for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Paris, my heart is so heavy over this. I can't imagine what you must feel being there...what Bogere must be feeling. It is just tragic. And I am in agreement with your prayer for justice.

    In all the pain of this situation, I thank God that in her last days, she had the opportunity to see Jesus in you. And that in this time of unfathomable grief, you are there as a conduit of comfort and peace for Bogere and Philip. I pray that God would comfort them as only He can. And that He would grace you for every single second of your time with them. That His joy would be your strength. And when you find yourself feeling the weight of this burden, you would remember that His burden is easy and His yolk is light.

    This is the kind of stuff that is easy to quote. But I pray that the truth of God's word, in all of it's mystery and wonder would come alive for you as you navigate this Paris.

    Love you so much!

    Love, Harmony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with you Harmony!

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Harmony! This was a really encouraging thing to read. It really means a lot to me to know that you care about me so much and care about my boys. Thank you for your words of encouragement. Thank you for taking the time to check on me and make sure that everything is ok. I love you so much and I miss you like crazy!!

      Delete
  3. My prayers go out to you and the family. I'm so sorry for the horrific loss. As you now represent one of the children's mother figures, know that God has placed you for such a time as this. Comfort and love those kids as best you can, and know the strength of the lord lives in you. The strides you've made with Bogere are not in vain, as he now has someone he can trust, someone to hold him, to wipe away his tears, to share in the grieving, and someone he can look to as a glint of hope and joy in his life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. M prayers are with you as well as them

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prayers for you, Bogere and the entire family! I saw this link via twitter (Phil Wagner) and I had to see who needed prayer. Praying for peace and comfort and for Justice!! Our God is GreatER and His will shall be done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Praying for wisdom, comfort and Gods mighty peace for everyone. Heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Paris, I am so sorry to hear this trajic news. I love your "realness" in your blogs. The questions you ask to God that we ask at some point in situations that we just can't understand. When I read how strong you remain for the Bogere, fighting back tears to be his strength at that time, is just so amazing to me. You are a blessing to Bogere & all the other children! It's so encouraging to see how much stronger ur bond with Jesus gets when things can go really wrong, in this instance, a mother of a child dying that you tried very hard to help. I admire you. I will say it over and over again, I admire you! Praying for peace in the hearts of these children that have lost their mom and praying for protection over all the kids at SMILE, staff, Pastor Ruth, You, everyone!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is heartbreaking and tragic. I am so sorry that this happened and that Bogere and his siblings are hurting. I am so sorry that you are hurting, Paris! My prayer is that GOD would wrap you all in His grace and love and peace. His love never fails, He is our comfort and strength! I thank GOD that YOU are the one He sent to be there for these children...GOD has graced you for such a time as this and He will give you everything you need.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is heartbreaking and tragic. I am so sorry that this happened and that Bogere and his siblings are hurting. I am so sorry that you are hurting, Paris! My prayer is that GOD would wrap you all in His grace and love and peace. His love never fails, He is our comfort and strength! I thank GOD that YOU are the one He sent to be there for these children...GOD has graced you for such a time as this and He will give you everything you need.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear this. God put you there at this time. You will be a light and inspiration to those around you. Keep your eyes on Jesus and keep love them the best you can.

    Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  11. So heartbreaking. Praying for YOU and the children. I thank God he has equipped you and placed you to be His light and show these children His love.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Paris....I can't even imagine what u are feeling right now. You are so supposed to be there for those boys and that community. My prayers r with u and the family...u r making such a difference...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Paris, you don't know me, but I have been praying for your time in Africa since before you left. I am so sorry for these tragic circumstances, but I am so amazed at God's grace, that He would place you amidst these children for such a time as this. He will be your strength and wisdom as you put one foot in front of the other, walking out what He has called you to walk out and loving the people He has called you to love. I am praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so sorry to hear about this injustice! I am pray that you find comfort in God and strength in His presence. I will be praying with my husband for these young children. God will vindicate her death. He will cover these children in Jesus name! I agree with Angela it is for such a time as this. All the pain, all the trials, it's worth it. You are shining His love all over that place! Be strong, be bold and set apart! Be Christ to them. We love you sis. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. God hears the cries of his children, Paris! He cares about your tears and the tears of Bogere and his family. I am truly sorry about Bogere's mom. I am praying for you and your heart as well as justice for Bogere's family. Don't give up and continue loving in Jesus' name!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Praying for all of you, I can't imagine but am so glad you're there, being the hands and feet of Jesus, offering hope, unconditional love and defense for the defenseless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. God bless you Paris, this are not easy things to experience and see first hand, but God is giving you the grace each day.May the Lord continue to renew your strength each day,thank you so much for helping these children through such a difficult time as this.I praise God for all those He has raised to lift you up in prayer for wisdom and courage.

    Love you and i am so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Paris,
    Through you God is releasing his love to those who may have never experienced Jesus in the flesh. An injustice was done. You are the blessing in action, the blessing of God manifest in a place of darkness when God's children needed you the most.
    Monica and I pray for you and the families that you touch. May Gods super come on your natural, May God's love overwhelm you and overflow to all those that you touch. We bind grief and despair from your heart, release joy to your soul and pray that the songs of Gods love guide you as you navigate this difficult experience. You have the mind of Christ and the peace that surpasses all understanding guides your heart and mind.
    The truth is that you gave love when it was needed the most!
    We love you and are very proud of you!
    Love,
    Brandon and Monica Bates

    ReplyDelete
  19. So sorry for your loss, u did reach out to Tereza, sometimes we do not respond to help or even feel we are worthy. Your last words were just in time.

    Love Betty/Brea

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW! Thank you all so much for your love and support! Im amazed at all the sweet and encouraging things that you all have to said. Thank you for lifting me and Bogere up and keeping us strong. I would not be able to do this without all your support. It means so much to me! Thank you Thank you Thank you!! love you all so much!
    Paris

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sad. Very Sad.
    I'm glad about one thing though:
    God placed you there at that time.
    You are the hug that Bogere will remember.

    May God continue to walk with you on this journey that he has placed you on.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Paris,
    As I was reading this my heart just broke, holding back my tears being in a public place! I am so sorry for the tragedies in life! You and the family our in my prayers, those children, have a God appointed angel with them during this time in their life and that would be YOU that our Lord has entrusted in this very difficult situation!
    I am praying for courage, strength, wisdom, peace and endurance, during this battle of yours! Being a Warrior for Our Lords Kingdom is painful, but remember our Lord has the perfect plan! His word is our promise, protection over you Paris in Jesus Name!
    Blessings,
    M

    ReplyDelete