Friday 7 September 2012

The best day with Bogere

I had so much fun with Bogere yesterday! It was a day of firsts for my little boy. I left my hotel in the morning and went to Smile Africa just to pick up Bogere. I decided that day was going to be about him and him only. I wanted just one on one time with him. I brought my son back to the hotel and gave him a shower. This was his first time to ever shower with warm water. He loved it! I then smothered him with baby lotion, which was also a first for him. I dressed him in his new clothes, that of course included basketball shorts. Hehe. I then put socks on his little feet. He has never had socks on before so he wiggled his toes around in his socks and looked at me with confusion. He sat on my bed and I turned on The Lion King on my computer. He has never seen a movie before in his life. His eyes got so big as he watched the opening song, which is in Swahili incase anyone was wondering, and all the animals dance around my computer screen. He was so excited! Bogere laid back and just stared, I'm not even sure if he blinked! His eyes were glued to my computer screen. Everytime Timon and Pumba came on my screen, Bogere would laugh so hard.

It had to be the cutest thing I had ever heard in my life. While he got lost in The Lion King world I decided that I was going to wash his old clothes, along with a few of my clothes. So I filled a bucket with some water, poured some detergent in and washed the clothes by hand, yes that's right, by hand. I've become so handy while I've been here! Mom, don't get any ideas. ;)

After I washed the clothes and I hung them to dry, we then went to have lunch. Bogere had his own plate of food and had his first soda ever. I have never seen a 5 year old so grateful and so much in awe at what was happening. Once we finished lunch we walked to a boda that would take us back to Smile Africa. The whole walk to the boda, Bogere looked down at his new shoes, which he has never had before. I was so happy for my son as he ran around in his new shoes. He would run over to some rocks and jump on them and say "Look!" He wanted to show me that the rocks did not hurt his feet now that he had shoes on. I tried to hold back tears as my 5 year old son ran around with so much joy at the simple things that I once took for granted, like shoes on my feet. We got on the boda and went back to Smile. I had to hold on tight to that boy while riding the boda! Bogere would throw his hands in the air as the motorcycle went flying down the street! I had the best day with my boy. A day that neither one of us will ever forget! 


16 comments:

  1. This is so awesome Paris!! You are doing a great job there. I'm so proud of you!!!
    I'm praying for you & Bogere everyday.

    But - when you come home - I am expecting that you could wash some of our clothes :)

    Love you - Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm so proud of you.
    Clarissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been following your blog for a few days now. Although I am living in the UK at the moment, I am from South Africa and have done many mission trips so can relate to some of your stories (and the hand washing!!) and my heart is stirred.
    You're doing an awesome job.
    Thanks for the updates,
    Anelia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paris, way to go! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So incredibly proud of you! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is the cutest little dude!!!! You must have wanted to keep him with you!!!! So happy I found your blog!!!!! Heidi Stevens Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. So awesome to see what you are doing in Africa, Paris!!! Your Oasis family is praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just want to encourage you that you are showing and receiving God's grace. What a blessing to read this...

    ReplyDelete
  9. The courage you have shown to leave the comforts of home has proven to be a inspiration to all. God bless you for your efforts, as you are an example to all regardless of age.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so inspired by what you're doing. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What you are doing is awesome! So inspired by your passion for God and these beautiful children. Keep it up, Paris! =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to go Paris, our prayers and thoughts are with you, your blessings from God is changing lives, may God bless you abundantly in each of your journeys together in Uganda!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Paris, I haven't heard a beautiful and fresh account of love lavishing like this in a long time. It's a clear and refreshing reminder to me of how God feels toward each one of us, and how he desires us to treat each other.

    Miss Wagner... you are inspiring. Jesus is all over you right now. I can barely stand to learn the treasures God has for you. The funny thing is I think YOU have already become the greatest gift to Bogere.

    many blessings

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW!!! Thank you all so much for your comments and your love and support! It really means the world to me! Thank you for your prayers and your help in keeping me strong out here on the front lines! I love you all!
    xoxo
    Paris

    ReplyDelete
  15. you re in our hearts and prayers, may God order your steps according His marvelous word, in Jesus Name!

    ReplyDelete