Sunday 23 September 2012

Chicken Sunday

Yesterday was a pretty laid back day. We went to church...which pretty much lasts the whole day. It was not as long this time, it lasted a little over 3 hours. This sunday I did not have any chicken extravaganzas like last Sunday. Let me tell you a little story about the chicken. Mama Ruth, Julian and I were sitting in the chairs as people came to greet Pastor Ruth and express their sympathy for the loss of her mother. People would also bring her gifts. A man came up to her with a bag and said, "This is for your lunch. I'm sorry about your mother." Mama Ruth handed me the bag and I looked inside it, it was cabbage. So she said thank you and I put the bag of cabbage on the ground. Then a little boy came up to Ruth and also expressed his sympathy. This little boy was holding something, but I could not see what it was. His hands were behind his back. I looked away and began talking to Julian. After he hugged Mama Ruth he removed a live CHICKEN from behind his back and he put it on my lap. It caught me so off guard. I screamed so loud! It scared me to death. Julian and Mama Ruth just about peed their pants in laughter. Once I got over the shock I removed the chicken from my lap and put it on the ground as well. Now every time someone brings a chicken to Ruth, everyone loves to tease me and say, "Paris will you come take the chicken?" hehe. I was just thinking of how hilarious it would be if someone came to Oasis Church and wanted to thank my dad for such a great sermon and they handed him a live chicken...now are you getting the visual with me? It was so funny to me!
Once church was over we went to lunch and then back to the hotel to rest for a little bit. This week was going to be a busy one as we get things ready for the babies room. Julian and I just watched a movie on my computer and relaxed for a minute. We then walked to Mama Ruth's house so that we could help with dinner. It was nice to just be in the kitchen with the girls and laugh, talk and just have a good time with each other. We had guests at the house for dinner, so I was being a host in the home. We all feel like a big family and I love it so much. After diner Mama Ruth informed me that she would be driving to Kampala with her son and Christine on Monday and that I was to take care of things at Smile. I gladly accepted the responsibility! So now I am preparing for a big week ahead. I cannot wait to see what God has in store.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Paris,

    Thank you for sharing your journey at Smile with us!

    You are in our prayers.

    Robin
    Oasis Family

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. have been following your blog daily, finally able to respond with help from your Dad and Robin Baker.

      Have you and your Uganda family in my prayers

      love Betty/Brea

      Delete