Sunday 2 September 2012

A boda boda and Salvation

Well yesterday was bitter sweet. I said good-bye to my daddy and watched him get on a plane and fly away. I cant even imagine what was going on through his mind as he flew away and left me behind. I knew I was going to miss him, but I am also ready to face this new adventure ahead of me. Once my dad was gone I took a tour of the town. I walked around and met people, talked with people, held everyone's babies, shared some American snack food with the kids, and attempted some Swahili, which the people loved. They laughed at me a lot...but they loved that I was trying. It was a lot of fun to see my new town and meet the people that I was going to share it with. I had my first experience on a boda boda. Incase you have no idea what a boda boda is, let me explain. A boda boda is like a taxi...but on a motorcycle. You wave the guy over to you and he comes up on a motorcycle, you hope on the back and away you go!! It was soooo much fun!! The driver was laughing at me as I was smiling so big and holding on for dear life. It was amazing! America has got to get these! Once my boda boda tour was over I went back to my room, organized it and bug sprayed it...yes, that's right...I brought Raid with me. I dont know about you, but sharing a room with bugs the size of house cats is not my idea of a good time! hehe
Today at breakfast I shared a table with a fellow Mzungu, which means white person in Swahili. It was on older gentleman who asked me questions about what I was doing here etc. It was hard for him to understand that I came here out of my own free will and unpaid and so young. He said, " I cant believe that a beautiful young girl like yourself would come all the way out here for no other motive than to love people." He than felt the need to express to me the concern's he had about the diseases that I am up against and he asked if I was scared. So I said, "I am aware that I have entered a country full of disease, I knew that before I got here. However, I have a faith and trust in a God who is bigger than disease. I know that I will be protected here. If I walk around in fear, than what good am I? If I was going to be afraid, than I should have stayed home. I am here to love, fulfill God's purpose for me here, than go home." He didnt say one word after that. So than I looked at him and said, "Do you know that the God who is protecting me here, the God who loves these children so much to send people from other countries to love them, loves you just as much?" I could not believe those words came out of my mouth. I dont normally do that. I just pray for people alone, but this time I spoke up. My heart was pounding wondering what he was going to say. He said that he once knew a God like that, but after some heart break in his life, he fell away. I let him talk and talk and talk. Than we prayed together and he left.
I dont know if me talking to him was planting the seed that he needed or watering the seed that was once planted in his life so long ago. But I am so thankful that I did not stay quiet. I will never let a moment go by again where I dont speak up for God who has given me a voice...and a loud one too!

3 comments:

  1. I realise this will be odd coming from a complete stranger, but I stumbled accross your blog and couldn't help but admire your charisma, strength and faith. I wish you and your new community the best of luck and I will pray that the Lord shall watch over you as you spread his message and to all his children, that they may receive his message. You are truly an inspiration for all, have a brilliant experience!

    "Faith is like a mountain. It is always strong, and always there. Climbing towards the pinnacle is paramount towards ascending towards the light of God. And what is so brilliant about such a mountain? There is room for everyone, should you fall the mountain remains strong and tall behind you - a steadfast companion through the most difficult of times. Everyone's climb is different, but in the end we all reach the top and all bathe in the glory, warmth and light of the eternal love of God."
    -David Stock

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read your post about talking to your fellow Mzungu boldly about God, it brought back a memory, a feeling of being that on fire for the Lord, where you just proclaim on the spot without measuring the room and finding your place in it first. Where was I? And then I remembered: in Sierra Leone, as a 22-year-old short-term missionary for Campus Crusade for Christ. I was just there for a month, on a team with about four other Americans, not making it on my own like you. And it took me a lot longer than it is apparently taking you to realize that I was there to learn, more than to teach. I also identify with your concern about your parents' feelings. From what we can see at Oasis, their pride and love for you far outweighs their natural fears. That's what I saw as my dad, one of the biggest worry warts on the planet, handed me a handmade first aid kit he lovingly put together for me before I left. Perfect love casts out fear.

    Anyways, I mostly just want to encourage you that you are such an inspiration for all of us. I don’t mean that in a cheesy way, but from someone who walked in your shoes and knows that you are already light years ahead at such a young age. I can only imagine the places of the heart God is going to take you, once you get back home, to tell the stories that need to be shared about the people of Uganda. You are already such a huge bridge to understanding for all of us with just the few words you have written so far while still there. We are praying for you and looking forward to your light shining and moving us forward as a church that strives to make an impact to the ends of the earth.

    P.S. One time I wanted to go off somewhere and have a quiet time with God, just to get away from everyone, just being my independent self - even though this was totally against the rules. I found a little clearing in the forest, and sat down on a log to read my Bible – in an area they told us not to go. I don’t know who I thought I was. Anyways, after a little bit, something just didn't feel right and I went home. I looked out my window a short while later to see a commotion: they were carting off a crocodile from the area where I had been. Why am I telling you all this? Because the people who are there have your best in mind, and your parents and all of us at Oasis are entrusting them with your care. You seem to have an excellent head on your shoulders all kinds of common sense, but if you ever get really comfortable and take off on your own to place they have told you not to go, just remember: there might be some crazy crocodile who would love to hang out with you. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally having a moment to catch up on your blogs. It's impressive that you have taken the time out of your life to help people who don't have it as good as we do here. This is really huge. I must read on now.

    ReplyDelete