Tuesday 18 September 2012

Bogere meets Caleb

"You inhabit a fallen disjointed world, where things are constantly unraveling around the edges. Only a vibrant relationship with Jesus can keep you from coming unraveled too." This was my devotional yesterday morning and oh how appropriate this was. Dealing with over 400 children and not speaking the language very well can be overwhelming. It is easy to be consumed by all the chaos that is going on around you and lose focus on the wonderful and beautiful things that Jesus has placed right in front of you. Yesterday was a very long day, but it was a great one! I spent the majority of the day with Caleb, trying to get him acquainted and settled into Smile. I took him around the property so he could see all the children and all the things that Smile Africa had to offer him. Caleb was a little scared at the amount of children running around. One thing I learned about Caleb was that this boy could eat! In the morning he had had 2 cups of porridge and at lunch he had 2 bowls of rice and beans. Having an appetite was not something that this boy lacked! This is a good thing, he will get healthy and strong in no time! When it was time for me and a few other teachers to eat lunch I left Caleb in the babies room with one other teacher. As I started to head for the door Caleb reached his hands out to me and started crying. The teacher who was there said, "Paris! Get back in here and take Caleb with you!" So I turned around and grabbed Caleb and we had lunch together. This little boy has been through so much but he can really smile! He is a true example of what finding in joy in things looks like.

I also spent a good amount of time with Bogere as well. His behavior is really getting so much better. I had no complaints from any teacher. I was so proud of him. When I brought Bogere to meet Caleb I did not know what to expect. I know that Bogere can be jealous of other children that get my attention so I did not know what his response would be to Caleb. When Bogere entered the babies room I pointed to Caleb and said in Swahili, "This is Caleb, he is new here. Will you be his friend?" Bogere went right over to Caleb who was sitting on the floor and Bogere sat down with him and smiled at him. He then reached his hands out and hugged Caleb. I was pleasantly surprised at his behavior. I rewarded him and told him what a great job he was doing. It was a very successful day at Smile!
"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive and inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving."
Colossians 3:23-24


1 comment:

  1. Precious Paris!!
    I don’t know you personally; I am a friend of your mom. My name is Jennifer Robinson…..
    I am so inspired by this journey you are on!!!!I am thrilled to follow you into Uganda and into the hearts and lives of those you will impact. Know that I am praying for you and indeed your impact will be HUGE!! Never underestimate the eternal change you are bringing to those you touch --only heaven can comprehend the magnitude of a life spilled before the Creator- your life.

    ReplyDelete