Tuesday 4 September 2012

Selfless Love

Yesterday I traveled to Kenya! It was my first time ever in Kenya, what a beautiful country. The drive was about 2 hours to the border, than another 30 minutes to get the house that we were trying to reach. The people there are very sweet and they love to make people laugh. Once we reached the border, the patrolman said that he would not charge Pastor Ruth to get into Kenya if she left me there with him...not funny. Hehe. Pastor Ruth just laughed and away we went. I visited the homes of many people and each home I entered I fell more in love with the African people and their children! This is a picture of my journey in Kenya.

Vella and Joyce are siblings at Smile Africa. I haven't spent much time with them except the other day, they caught my attention. It was time to pass out food. Vella, who is 6 years old, was carrying Joyce(2 years old) on her back. She walked around looking for a good place to sit. Vella found a spot she liked and then she took her hand and wiped the area until she thought it was clean. Then she placed baby Joyce in this "clean" spot. When the teacher's came to hand Vella 2 plates of food, one for her and one for Joyce, she refused, she said "Only one please." The teacher asked why and Vella said in Swahili, "Me and Joyce are small, we can share, there are a lot of kids here that are bigger that need the extra food." I was in shock, I have never heard something like that in my life. So the teacher gave her one plate of food and let her be. Vella used her hands and scooped up some rice and fed it to Joyce and than herself. The love didn't stop there. Joyce, being only 2 years old, makes a mess. So Vella takes off her shirt, the only shirt she has, and wipes Joyce's face clean. Then they continue to eat. I walked away and burst into tears at what I had just seen. What selfless love Vella has for her baby sister. Vella has nothing, but she literally took the clothes off her back and gave it to her sister. There is a lesson to be learned from my sweet Vella. Love is supposed to be unconditional, no holding back, with no regret. It made me wonder...has there ever been a time when I refused to give something that maybe I had an abundance of? A moment of selfishness? Vella has truly opened my eyes to what generosity and love really means. Thank you Vella, for showing me what love looks like.  

Vella and Joyce both need sponsors, only $75 per child for the WHOLE YEAR
(that's $6.25 a month.... 21 cents a day)
This includes, school fees, food, shoes, and clothes. If interested, let me know.
Can you show selfless love like Vella does?



5 comments:

  1. Just beautiful Paris...so powerful! Love you so much!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do we go about sponsoring them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this P! Such an incredible story, I'm definitely down to sponsor some kids. Let's talk about making that happen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paris - Rich and I love this!!! Thanks so much for sharing your journey. We would love to sponsor as well!!!

    ReplyDelete