Thursday 20 September 2012

Perseverance

Yesterday was such a great day! When I arrived at Smile Africa I went straight to the babies room with my head full of ideas to make the babies room a little brighter and more fun for the babies. I had gone to town before I went to Smile to get prices for things that I could purchase for the room. I walked in the room with determination to make some kind of positive change for the babies. While I was in the room writing things down and measuring things I heard a knock at the door. When I opened the door, there stood Bogere. With a smile he said, "I come?" Meaning, "Can I come in?" I looked at him and said, "Have you been a good boy today?" Bogere told me that he was being good and listening to the teachers today, so I let him in the room. Caleb was sitting on the floor trying to figure out how to put the legos together, so Bogere went over and sat down next to Caleb to try and teach him how to use the legos. It was very sweet to watch them working together.

It was a very busy day for me, trying to figure out where put new things for the room and where to move the old things, taking measurements and getting approval from Ruth. I was all over the place! Since I was so busy, it was really good that the boys could spend time together to keep each other company. Throughout the day my mind was racing trying to think of new ideas and new ways to keep the babies room organized and working properly. At the moment, it is just one room for the babies, so I have to make it the best room at Smile. I have work with what God has put in front of me, not take it lightly, and do the very best that I can! After lunch the day slowed down and I had time to focus on Bogere and Caleb. I played legos with them and read them a book. That is Caleb's favorite thing. The funny thing is, Caleb's first language is probably going to be English, because that is what I speak to him. When I point to something, I say it in English, so that is what he is learning. Bogere is also learning English, while I am learning Swahili, so we are teaching each other. I was very happy with Bogere's behavior today. He was such a good boy. When it was time to give Caleb a bath, Bogere helped me fill the basin with water. While I was bathing Caleb, Bogere was making him laugh. Before I left for the day I let them play with my iphone. Bogere loves to play with all my talking animal apps. Today he showed Caleb how to play with it and Caleb was laughing so hard. It was very cute.

I had such a great day with my boys. I realize that we have good days and bad days, but when there is a day that I don't have to discipline Bogere for bad behavior at all, it is a wonderful day! My hope and prayer is that Bogere is starting to learn the correct way to behave. Thank you Jesus for giving me perseverance! I know that with time, it will all pay off. I have learned that just because Bogere and I have a bad day, doesn't mean that he has forgotten how to behave, it means that he is a child and is learning. Also, when we have a great day, like yesterday, doesn't mean that everything is perfect and he has learned all that he needs to. I  have learned to not get discouraged over a bad day, and to not assume that all the problems are fixed because of a good day. Perseverance, consistency, and a good attitude will get me, get us, through every trial that comes our way.
"More then that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces perseverance, and perseverance produces character, and character produces hope."
Romans 5:3-4

1 comment:

  1. So proud of you Paris! Thank you for taking time to write about your adventures at Smile Africa! I love seeing what God is doing in you and through you!

    ReplyDelete