Wednesday 8 July 2015

A Mother's Prayer

            On my walk to Smile Africa this morning I could not help but smiling. I was listening to worship music and I was so happy. I feel so at home here.  As soon as I reached Smile Africa I went straight to City of Lights baby home. The babies were just about to eat breakfast. They have learned to hold the cups of porridge themselves. They are growing up so fast! After breakfast it was naptime, so I began helping the nannies get the children ready for bed. Their naptime seemed to take forever this time. I was anxious to be with the babies today. As soon as they woke up, I was so excited to begin changing diapers and playing with them. Baby Joseph and Baby John woke up and they were not amused with my level of energy. Haha!

           Shortly after lunch we had an emergency. One of our babies who is HIV+ got very sick. This baby was extremely malnourished when he came to us. This sweet boy is 7 months old but has the weight of a newborn or even less. He was throwing up after every meal and every time we gave him his medicine. The nannies and the nurses are working hard to help him grow and gain weight. As we were driving baby Yusuf to the hospital my heart just broke as I watched his tiny body trying to breathe. I felt so useless in that moment. For me, all of these babies are my children. So my heart was aching badly as I carried his tiny body in the car to the hospital. There was nothing I could do but pray. I closed my eyes and put my hand on his forehead and prayed for him to be healed

 Finally, once we got to the hospital the doctor gave us prescriptions in order to help baby Yusuf. Then the nurse had to put an IV in his hand to get him fluids due to his severe dehydration. It was hard to watch his little face in so much pain. I am so grateful for the nurses that take such good care of all of our babies. Our nurse gave Yusuf everything he is going to need to get better. I just need to do what I can, which is to love him and pray for him.

 “God, I pray right now for Baby Yusuf. I pray that you would protect him and keep him safe. I pray that you would heal him from any sickness and that you would keep him from any pain. Protect my son as he sleeps. Thank you. Amen”
           

            

No comments:

Post a Comment