Wednesday 4 May 2016

Like I Never Left


   I am so grateful that I got some good sleep! After a sleepless night with a sick baby and traveling many hours, I really needed the sleep. I woke up very excited to go to the baby home. After some breakfast, I got packed up and began my walk to Smile Africa. I LOVE walking from the hotel to the baby home. I love seeing the people and walking through the town. The first thing that I get to see once I leave my hotel is the Tororo Rock. It is a well known rock in Uganda and it is so beautiful! I have missed the site of this rock very much. It just brings an amazing feeling of home. Once I saw the rock, I stopped, I took a photo and I took a deep breath. I just wanted to capture that moment in my mind because I knew the day would go by quickly. The smell of the beautiful lush grass and crisp clean air after a night of rain shot down my spin and overwhelmed my senses. This is home. 


   I put my headphones in and listened to music as I  began the walk to Smile Africa. Once I started walking for a while, everything just came right back to me. It was almost like I never left...almost. Some people remembered me just by the sight of me walking. I walked the same path at the same time almost everyday. As I walked, some familiar faces waved to me. Even some of the children on their way to lunch would pass by me and say,

"Hi Paris! Welcome back."

   It is so nice to be back. Oh how I love the people of Uganda, the culture, the friendly, welcoming personalities and the amazing accent. There is just nothing else like it in the world. 

   I usually make a stop in town at the same store every morning and I purchase a large bottle of water, which usually lasts me the whole day, for 1,000 shillings, which is 31 cents. I then continue my walk to the baby home. I usually pass by the same spot of boda drivers. Boda's are like motor bikes that are used as taxis. They say,

"Mzungu (White Person)!! Come! We go!"

   To which I always turn down because, although I am now sweating profusely from the hot African sun, I enjoy my walk. As I am almost to Smile Africa I hear a horn beep from behind me. It is the Smile Africa van with our older toddlers coming back from school. I hear the children say,

"Mommy is coming with us!" 

   So I get in the van and sit next to Ruth and Eric. They are twins who are 4 years old. They are such smart and funny little kids. I love them so much. I asked the children how school was and how they were feeling and they seem to be excited to be coming back home. 



   We all get out of the van and run into the baby home. The children immediately take off their uniform...run around naked for about 5 minutes, then they put on their play clothes. All of the children are playing games together and riding their bicycles. It was a really fun day playing with the children. I have missed each of them so much! It is also so great to see how much they have grown and how healthy they are. They are such beautiful children. 


    After a long day at Smile Africa I went to Pastor Ruth's house for dinner and to see her children. Her youngest daughter, Esther, was so excited to see me, and I her. She is a 5 year old, so full of energy and laughter. Esther is such a fun little girl. I spent a couple of hours with Ruth and the children and gave them the presents I brought for them, then ate dinner, then went back to the hotel. It was a very fun first day back! I am excited for tomorrow and all the excitement of the children. 

Good night! :)

1 comment:

  1. You have so much love. You are truly blessed sweet girl. Praying for all your many adventures and Gods perfect will to be done in your life.

    ReplyDelete