Saturday 7 May 2016

Don't Let Go

   Today was the day...today was the day that I had been waiting for! I was going to see Bogere! I woke up in the morning with more excitement than you can imagine. Those of you that know me, know that I am not a morning person...like at all. But today I woke up with a little pep in my step. I could not wait to go and see Bogere! Pastor Ruth came to pick me up in the morning and we went into town to go and buy groceries from the store. We wanted to bring the family that is looking after Bogere some food as a way of saying 'Thank You' for taking care of Bogere, my son.

   After about an hour drive we arrived in Mbale, which is the city that Bogere is living in. Then Pastor Ruth pointed and said,

"They live just up this road here."

   My heart began to race with excitement. I was now just yards away from Bogere but the van could not move fast enough! As we were driving up the road we saw the Reverend who was taking care of Bogere. I opened my window and I waved to him. This sweet old man had the biggest smile I had ever seen. He smiled big and gave me a big wave. Then we parked our van in front of his home. I was looking for Bogere out of the windows, but I could not see him.

   I slid open the door to the van and jumped out. Within 8 seconds of being on the ground, I heard the best noise I have heard in a long time...It was the sound of my sweet son, Bogere.

"PARIS!!"

   I looked in the direction that I heard his voice coming from and I saw him running! Bogere ran as fast as he could and then he jumped in my arms. It was the greatest feeling in the world. My son, safe, in my arms again.

   As I stood there holding him I could not help but cry. Imagine if you had a child and you did not see him or her for a year. And then during that year that you were apart, your child was abused and mistreated and there was nothing you could do. Then imagine seeing your child again safe and happy. That was the feeling I was feeling. In fact, it is not just one feeling I was feeling, but many all at once. I love this boy so much! This has felt like a very long year apart. Tears began to roll down my cheeks as I held onto this boy with every ounce of strength that I had. When I was about to put him down, he clinched onto me tighter as if to say,

"Don't Let Go."


   After our big hug, we walked hand in hand to his home. The whole family was there to say hello to us. The older boys got the food from the van and took it to their kitchen. We talked with each other for a few minutes and then Pastor Ruth suggested that I go and see Bogere's school. So Bogere, myself and a few of his friends got in the van and we visited his school. I met the head teacher and the director and they were nice people. I felt really great about that school. We then got back in the van and headed back to his home. 

   Once we arrived back at the home we distributed the clothes we brought for the other children as well as soccer balls. They were so excited!


   I was told that Bogere had a best friend, a boy named Emma, that befriended and treated him well the very minute that Bogere came to live at this home. Emma loved Bogere and became his brother right away and looked out for him. They also share a room and a bunk-bed together. When I was told this, I wanted to bring clothes, shoes and school supplies not only for Bogere, but for Emma as well. So while we waited for Emma to get back from taking his exams at school, I gave Bogere his new clothes. His abusive aunt sold all of the clothes that I had brought him before, so he literally had nothing. I pulled out a suitcase and gave Bogere all of his new clothes, new shoes, new backpack, school supplies and a Nerf Gun. Because what boy doesn't love a Nerf Gun? Bogere was so excited to receive all of his new things, he could not stop smiling. He picked out an outfit and immediately went to the bathroom to wash himself and put on his new clothes. 


   Then finally his friend Emma arrived. We talked together briefly and then I pulled out all of the things that I brought for him, new clothes, new shoes, new backpack, school supplies and a Nerf Gun. As I am showing him his new things, I look over and his smile is faint, but his eyes begin to tear up. It turns out this boy has never been given anything like this before in his life. The Reverend said he is crying out of disbelief that this is real life. 


   I was blown away by this boy's reaction to the things I brought him. I did not bring anything fancy, but this boy acted like his world just got flipped upside down. I just kept hugging him and telling him that Jesus loves him and that he is a good boy. Emma just kept nodding and then looking down at the suitcase that belonged to him. This boy is so sweet and I am so glad that I got to meet him. 

   Emma's reaction to the simple things I got him, really reminded me to be grateful about everything that I have and everything that is given to me. I want to be as grateful as Emma for every single thing that I am given. Forgive me, God, for the times when I have acted entitled or ungrateful. 


(The Reverend, his wife, Bogere and myself)

   After visiting for a few more minutes, it was time to say good-bye. The good news is that I will be coming back on Tuesday to see Bogere and Emma again. We all hugged each other and said good-bye. I also hugged the Reverend and his wife and said thank you many times. They are wonderful people who are taking care of Bogere and they all seem to love each other. Bogere seems happy there. Which makes my heart feel happy and at peace. 

I cannot wait until Tuesday! :) 

Good Night. 













1 comment:

  1. Yay!! So glad you got to see Bo!! Love the photos! And love you!

    ReplyDelete